Wednesday 28 July 2010

How the day breaks down

This has fascinated me so I hope it is of interest to someone else.

The foolishness of how I get through the day is surprising. Here is what I do.

We start the day by riding for 1 1/2 hours before our first break. I often need to stretch after 20 minutes, but my first target for the day is that break. I can honestly say I hardly think at all about the rest of the ride. I know I can ride that 1 1/2 hours, so I do.

We then look at how far we have ridden, take a view on when lunch is, and break up the time. Let's say we are going to break in 75 minutes this time. Relieved that it is less than the last one, I ride for that 75 minutes. I start to have an eye on lunch. Note, I hardly look at all at distance on my cycle computer - that would be horrible - I just cycle for time.

Lunch we like to take at over half way, so next we ride to lunch and that is normally a physical place that we are aiming for - which is refreshing change on the mind.

After lunch, I consider how far I have to go. Let's say it is 45 miles. Now, I know I can ride 45 miles. I've done it loads of times so I feel a sense of relief and confidence. We tend to break 2-3 more times, so now I'm doing less than 15 mile rides which is around an hour a go. Which is ok.

Clearly there is some horrible logic in this but I have done this on each of the last 4 days. And it is easy on the mind and if something is hurting then there isn't too long to go before you get to stop.

Madness really.

Brendan

2 comments:

  1. Not madness really, very interesting and it's obviously working for you and you're getting there. Keep up the good work. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd normally say something along the lines of "you need to get out more" to someone who explains this sort of thing to you but that doesn't seem to fit on this occasion. Perhaps you need to stay in.

    Keep on buggering on!

    ReplyDelete