Thursday 29 July 2010

Big day done

104 miles, 7200 feet of climbing (who am I to argue with Garmin), 7 hours and 40 minutes in the saddle, 10 hours elapsed.

Ride went well - with some big milestones. First, we went past Lancaster University - I could see Bowland college... I'll put up a snap but suspect it is a bit too far in the distance. Lunch at Kirby Lonsdale was odd having spent some Uni days there before.

We then moved on and started to hit the hills. For the first time, I had to do the full effort. At mile 74 a large climb into the Trough of Bowland brought granny gear (my easiest gear). And then I was out of the saddle. Could have done it for longer than I had to but glad I didn't need to. Suspect legs will feel it tomorrow. The trough of Bowland is amazing scenery again which certainly helped.

Jon's parents met us in the Trough, found some water for us and directed us to Dunsop Bridge. Dunsop Bridge is the nearest village to the exact centre of the British Isles. It is also our best guess as to the half-way point of the ride. Yup - we're past half way :-)

Tired, sore legs, but in a good place mentally. Tomorrow, we go home - shorter day (74 miles) through Manchester and then the peaks. Home cooked food and my own bed. Lovely.

Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment